Friday, July 9, 2010

Shine: The Musical

I should confess that I was somewhat conflicted about hearing of this production. On one hand, I LOVE musicals. On the other, I really don't care for burlesque. Really, it's a bit on the rare side to think "wow, I can't believe she took her bra off!" when watching burlesque. Dan Savage wrote a thoughtful article that addressed the danger that the Seattle burlesque scene is currently courting. His article soothed my conscience in my decision to whole-heartedly endorse Shine: A Burlesque Musical.

I was invited to attend the final dress rehearsal and I was blown away. I loved it! The premise is not terribly original, but I contend that a familiar plot line makes for easier likability. You have the thought "Oh, I see what kind of story this is going to be" and you settle in. The story has a few surprises that were completely unexpected and still very much in the spirit of the characters and story. I love it when I can't see something coming in the plot.

The music, written by The Wet Spots, was fun and well done. The singers smoldered and thankfully the tech supported them nicely. (Too often in smaller productions the sound and or light systems detract from the quality of the performance. I am pleased to report that was not the case in Shine.)  The choreography, by Inga Ingenue who is an incredible dancer and burlesque artist in her own right, was a real treat. All the dance numbers were sexy, crisp in execution and engaging. I honestly enjoyed every one.

Best of all, Shine has a beautiful message of honouring and expressing one's sexuality in a way that is neither trite, nor preachy.  As a production associated with the Foundation for Sex Positive Culture, they can rest assured that Shine follows their mission. Their 18+ notice on the website says it quite nicely: "SHINE is an adult-oriented show which contains nudity and themes of healthy sexuality. The producers and writers of this show think this is a Very Good Thing."
 "

I highly recommend you go see Shine, either this weekend or the next. Tickets are available online, and if you are free this (Friday) evening, the 10:30pm show is having a 2-for-1 special if you use the secret code: LuLu.

1 comment:

wetspots said...

Thanks for these wonderful words. It's great to know that the message of the show shines through.