Monday, February 8, 2010

New poly sex survey out.

 This survey is being conducted by researchers at the University of Michigan. The survey is intended for people who are involved in a romantic relationship. We will ask you about your views of yourself, your relationship with your partners, and your sexual encounters with people other than your primary romantic partner.

The wording of this survey made it difficult for me to answer some things. The always/never questions and the ones where it was inferred that any other partner besides my primary partner was not someone I was committed to specifically.  I do consider one partner my primary, because I spend more of my time with him and we have more formal agreements between us regarding our relationship, but he is not my primary because I love him most or I have more of a commitment to him.  I have a varying levels of commitment to and much respect for each of my partners that is not superseded by my "primary" relationship.

Other questions were difficult to answer because my safer sex practices differ with different partners and which toys are involved, i.e. some toys are only used by one person and there for are cleaned, but not sanitized, each time.  One question was impossible for me to answer: it asked when I told my primary partner about my most recent sexual experience with another person and there wasn't an answer that was even close to "was there with me."


So, check out the survey with the mindset that you may not be exactly who they think they are talking to. If you have the time, give them feedback at the end of the survey about how you felt about how it was written.  Let's educate the educators.

No comments: