Saturday, January 9, 2010

What's your super power?

The Mean Man promises that he can always think of a way to make something, anything worse. This is what I think of as a super power: something you are consistently, often uncannily, good at naturally.

I'm not sure what my super power is. I am torn between two possibilities. One: I can make it better. Meaning I can find the bright side of anything and I can physically make people feel better. Or, two: my mutant ability to heal and resist injury.

A recent example of the latter is an inverted suspension by only 4 wraps of 6mm hemp rope. Not a Herculean lack of rope, but definitely not enough to be comfortable. It started as a horizontal, face up suspension. Not too strenuous, a bit hard on my neck. I was having a hard time staying connected with the Mean Man and asked for more touch and eye contact. Ever accommodating, he readjusted my leg and hip up-lines, lowered my chest so that my head was about two and a half feet off the floor and laid down underneath me. Neither the chest or hip harness were altered, making this a difficult position with all of my weight being supported at one point with so few wraps. We're talking quite a few pounds per square inch.

After he brought me down and the rope was off, an inspection of the skin that had been under the hip wraps showed minor irritation: red, a bit puffy and tender to the touch. By morning, I was left with a light red mark on each side on my hip, approximately 2 inches long. Now, two days later, you have to strain to see them. A bit unsatisfying to not have anything to show for a brutal scene.

So, I don't know. Mutant healing power? Or, always make it better power? Maybe I can have both!

No comments: