Monday, September 20, 2010

I'm a Kinsey 2.695

Kinsey Scale tee-shirts! The Kinsey Heterosexual-Homosexual Scale was devised by Alfred Kinsey & his co-researchers, Clyde Martin & Wardell Pomeroy to reflect the gradations found in the vast majority of the sexual histories they received in the 1940s & 1950s.

Just think, with these shirts, you could avoid putting the moves on someone with the "wrong" orientation. Those situations can not only be embarrassing, but also downright heart breaking.

I like the Kinsey Scale because it allows for movement. The concept that your position on the scale varies throughout your life respects that humans are not static creatures and that our sexuality is a malleable thing.

You may ask how I get such a convoluted number out of a such a simple scale. Well, here are all the factors I took into account when coming up with my number
  • ratio of men to women sexual partners
  • ratio of long term relationships with women to men
  • who I fantasize about when I masturbate
  • who catches my fancy walking down the street (random visual stimuli)
  • who I idly fantasize about
Ultimately, I think these types of labels work great as conversation starters, rather than conversation enders.

No comments: